Now it’s time to plan for summer. For I will read 5 books as a result of Design Studies and explain why, identify 5 things I will do to my blog over the summer and when, and lastly, identify 5 people I will connect to.
ME LIST OF BOOKS
The 5 books I will read are:
- ‘Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking’ by Malcolm Gladwell
I enjoyed reading Gladwell’s ‘Tipping Point’ and liked the way it was written, hopefully this book will help me in making decisions in my chosen discipline.
- ‘Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things’ by William McDonough and Michael Braungart
This book deals with the topic of recycling which I am interested in. I would like to take this into consideration when making jewellery and help minimise waste in the process (chemicals when etching/discarding of metals).
- ‘In The Bubble: Designing in a Complex World’ by John Thackara
From reading the summary of this book, I can see it talks about how people have lost sight of what stuff is for. It focusses on services and people instead of relying of technology, thus, may spark inspiration and where to go with my work.
- ‘Persuasion: The Art of Influencing People’ by James Borg
Throughout Design Studies, we have been assigned tasks which involve sociology and people, for jewellery, this book should aid in talking to possible clients and persuading them or even persuading people to employ you.
- ‘Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Take Hold and Others Come Unstuck’ by Dan Heath and Chip Heath
Design is only successful when people actually by your products. Perhaps this book will help me with designing jewellery which will sell and how to create good design.
WORK ON THE BLOG
So, now turning my attention to blogging. What ways are there to improve my blog? What else can I do to my blog to make it more attractive? How can I get my blog read by more people? Here are 5 things I attempt to do to my blog:
- Comment and read more of other peoples blogs which may help in increasing popularity of my own.
- Consider utilising other widgets and plug-ins to make my blog look more sophisticated and mature.
- Possibly create a timetable of blogging minimum 3 times a week about things I have seen/read to get me into the rhythm of things and improve my blogging.
- Link my twitter page to my blog page to increase popularity.
- Add a delicious widget to show viewers my interests.
KEEP IN CONTACT WITH PEOPLE
5 people I have decided to connect with over the summer are:
- Liza Maclean a lady who is design-business related.
- Kate Pickering through Vanilla Ink who has had jewellery design experience.
- Patricia Lip, a girl of different ethnicity.
- I am particularly excited to connect with 2 jewellers who I have not spoken to before because it will be a new experience and mature.
Hopefully this means of connecting with fellow design students will improve my skills in talking to people through the web which will help for future job employment and connections. All very exciting, bring on the sun!